return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: clutch laid out of the nesting box

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sat Jun 7 10:40:07 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Guys, please consider this. If your not getting consistent results, its because the box is not right. That's simple enough.
Cal kings are not the easiest to nest properly. They do seem to like laying eggs between things.
I use a separate nesting box that was developed for Cal kings, because its deeper then you can fit in a cage and I place two pieces of glass down in the substrate. One about four to six inches down. The other about an inch below that one, The females can then lay between the layers of glass or below the deeper one.
Whats funny is, what I developed(many years ago) is the combination of what you two are doing. Which is the important part.
We do not "know" what they are actually looking for. But we do know some things like humidity, temps, depth, and conditions often used. Like under the tile. What we do not understand is, what makes them use one or the other, same female, different years. So as a huge genius, I simply added both. and often more, then let them tell me.
Kings also love to nest is wadded up plastic trash bags buried in nesting material. The problem is getting to the eggs. The snakes have no problem crawling into folds after folds, but we do. Beautiful kings you got there.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: clutch laid out of the nesting box - mikefedzen, Fri Jun 6 22:36:15 2014