return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Incubation...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: caracal at Tue Aug 5 05:35:16 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by caracal ]  

First of all, Gregg, I've said it before and I'll say it again:
I love the SIMS containers.

Although Gregg advised me to make holes in the containers, to avoid creating a vacuum and having the eggs implode, I don't make holes. I open the containers once every day or two, just to allow an exchange of air and because of the concern he expressed, I open from one corner, very slowly.

I keep my eggs in refrigerators (not operating), to help maintain stability if there are any large changes in temperature. I removed the doors, because I didn't like the clunking (maybe I'm just paranoid) and I lean mattresses against the doors, instead.

On that note, for those of you who get nervous about moving eggs:
Last year, I moved house and had to transfer 200 eggs mid incubation. I drove with them a couple of miles at about 10 miles an hour, going through all stop signs, at about 3 in the morning. I wasn't sure how I'd explain that one to a cop
Fortunately, I didn't get stopped and the eggs were fine.

I prefer to maintain the temperature of the whole room, again, I feel it's more stable. I have to keep an ac and a heater going in the room, because the temps can fluctuate so dramatically where I live.

I maintain temps between 80 and 82 - I am having eggs hatch between 56 and 60 days, some going longer. I would imagine the top shelf is warmer than the bottom. If you look in the pic, you'll see the thermostat probe is located at the top. I worry more about them being too warm than too cold.

99% of my hognose eggs don't dimple, unlike other snakes I've bred, which would dimple up to several days in advance of hatching.
I don't know what others have experienced and I'd like some feedback.
It seems to me that the shell of the hognose egg is quite different in texture than that of many other snakes.

Yes, they are labeled, in case you're wondering.
And the books are just to secure the lids that didn't close as tightly - I hate those flies

Not saying this is the best way, just showing you how I do it.
I am having close to 100% successful hatch rate.
I don't say that to brag - it's all stuff that I've learned from others.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Incubation... - Gregg_M_Madden, Tue Aug 5 07:46:50 2014