return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Soft eggs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: zovick at Mon Aug 18 16:47:50 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zovick ]  

She may need more calcium in her diet to help her calcify the shells of her eggs. You can try giving her cuttlebones, chicken egg shells (from hard boiled eggs to prevent the possibility of spreading Salmonella), and sprinkling her favorite foods with Rep-Cal. One friend of mine used to cook chickens in a pressure cooker and then bone them, save the chicken meat for himself and feed the cooked bones to his Radiated, Star, and Leopard Tortoises. I witnessed this firsthand, and the tortoises actually seemed to enjoy gnawing on the bones for a number of days after they were put in the tortoise enclosures. Aside from providing calcium for the animals, this practice can also help to prevent overgrown beaks.

This will not help you right now, but might be useful to know for future reference: when I was raising Star Tortoises (all 3 types), I used to take the shells of the hatched Star Tortoise eggs and feed them to the female who had laid them. They almost always ate them. Radiated Tortoises don't seem as interested in eating the shells of their hatched eggs, but it doesn't hurt to offer them just in case. It is an easy way to recycle organic calcium.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Soft eggs - Saddleman, Mon Aug 18 21:10:44 2014

<< Previous Message:  Soft eggs - saddleman, Mon Aug 18 14:37:44 2014