return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Yellow female...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Mon Nov 17 14:26:03 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

In regards to that yellow female, I would pair her up with the lightest male possible. Even a nice green or greenish male if you have one. That would be my first choices if I did not have a yellow male.

I do not think breeding an axanthic male to that yellow female will do anything for either project. It would actually be counter productive. To me it would not make sense to breed the axanthic gene into a hyper-xanthic animal. Subsequent to that, I would also breed her to a stock normal male to see if the yellow overtakes dark coloration like it does in the lemon ghost morph in westerns.

And just to touch on the creating hets thing one last time. My way of thinking is not naïve. It is how genetic inheritance is figured out and proven. If you have the animals available, it is never a waste to outcross. In your case you did not have the available breedable females to do it. That is completely understandable. It is something that should not be dismissed though. This is your project Frank. You should be the one who proves the inheritance before anyone else can.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Yellow female... - FR, Mon Nov 17 14:59:23 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Frank and Will... - willstill, Mon Nov 17 13:25:31 2014