return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Metabolism high in hogs vs kings?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Dec 2 08:39:04 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

So how about having some fun with your Gaboons, Change how you keep them. Better yet, go play with them in nature and see if they compare to your captives.
Heres something important, what your observing it true, you are observing it. In that, your right. Then I have to ask, what does it have to do with the animal?
In most cases how we keep them is totally foreign to the snakes, its just how we keep them. Our methods, our schedules, our temps, etc. Are all based on us.
One major error is how they feed. In nature, there are no schedules. They eat when prey is available and do so as fast and efficient as possible. with the species I have worked with, fossorial types, normally only feed a few times a year, they do that is as short a time as possible, then return to cool temps and conserve energy. 8 times is what I call normal. But then, normal is odd in nature.
So do you think if you kept your Gaboons in a twenty by twenty cage(much smaller then nature) and had hot spots of 110F or more, deep substrate, burrows, logs, etc a pond even, and had food available at all times, would they behave the same as your mega poopers?
I would like to add, I have heard that about many species, including Condros, with that problem and in all cases, it was based on captive conditions, not a natural design. To make it simple, during periods of low activity, snakes do not have anything in their G.I. track, its clean as a whistle, and that is common sense. In most cases, hydration was important to the cause, not exclusive but important. ALso, its normal for natural snakes to emerge, take a dump then go about their daily business. While Gaboons can hold stuff longer, Iam not sure its what they would do normally. As in, its a captive problem. Lastly, holding waste has nothing to do with speed of digestion.
Also, Gaboons are not in question, hognose are and in comparison to kingsnakes.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Metabolism high in hogs vs kings? - Gregg_M_Madden, Tue Dec 2 19:21:25 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Metabolism high in hogs vs kings? - Gregg_M_Madden, Tue Dec 2 07:59:46 2014