return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

husbandry changes for different ssp.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AaronBayer at Tue Jun 16 09:07:02 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AaronBayer ]  

I'm curious who else has noticed different subspecies requiring or even preferring different care and what those differences were.

A common example that most are aware of is that blacks and Andeans prefer cooler temps.

I currently have the following subspecies set up in a virtually identical manner... pueblans, andeans, blacks, stuart's, blanchard's, sinaloans, nelsons, and conant's... in plastic tubs with aspen bedding, tight humid hide with moist sphagnum, water dish, warm side of about 82 and cool side of about 70-73.

most of my animals are new or newish lines F1s and F2s and/or have line info and/or locality info. so they are basically pure examples of each subspecies and not mixed up mutts.

things I've noticed...
pueblans want no part of their humid hide... never in there. sorta makes sense as I understand they are from a very dry climate.

stuarts are always in their humid hide... they seem to like it wet.

sinaloans, nelsons, and conants are much more active than the others... always on the go and moving around day and night it seems.

Andeans and blacks obviously not wanting heat... never on the warm side even after a meal. in fact, I don't even have heat available to my adult blacks and plan to do the same when my young Andeans and blacks move up to bigger caging.

blanchards doesn't seem to ever hide. much more of a percher... just sits on top of the hide watching things all day.

black milks seem to like moving everything around the cage and piling it all up in a corner. not sure if maybe it's some sort of nesting/denning behavior or just a consequence of them pushing around.

conants and blanchards seem to be much more visual hunters/eaters. they like f/t mice dragged around and shaken about to really get into chasing and "killing". my male blanchards simply will not eat unless he gets to a. chase the mouse, b. strikes and bites the mouse in a way that the face of the mouse ends up in his mouth on the first bite, and c. I shake the mouse for 10 to 15 seconds after he wraps up.

anyone else have any observations of differences between subspecies?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Ghost hondos het Amel - sdr, Fri Jul 17 19:48:14 2015
<< Previous topic:  Sexing tinies - Donski, Tue Jun 9 10:54:58 2015