return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Betta male - aged or sick?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: phishie at Sat May 22 10:36:23 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by phishie ]  

It sounds like your betta has gill disease. I learned from experience that the outcome is not so good. However, you can still try to save him. You can add an airstone to help oxygenate the water to help his gills pick up the oxygen. You can also add a teaspoon of aquarium salt to 10 gallons of water. That will help with his osmoregulation. It may also help if he has an infection. It worked wonders for my one barb that had a sore that was getting infected.

The 100% water change was a very bad idea because now the beneficial bacteria that were in the water are no longer in there, so he may die from ammonia poisoning since the tank has to cycle again. The cycling process is very stressful on a fish. I would also add some cycle or some other bacterial additive to help with that process also. They have one for bettas, I think it's called betta complete.

Since it's been 2 months since you noticed the changes, it is likely that the damage is not reversible, but that's not for sure. I can only say from my best judgment. He may have a lot of fight in him. Hopefully he can pull through this.

I've not heard of an infrared lamp being used to treat fish diseases, so I wouldn't recommend that. Try the above solutions and just be patient. There's nothing else you can really do. Just keep an eye on the symptoms and water parameters (i.e.: ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and pH). If you don't have a water testing kit, you should purchase one. It will help you know when to do a water change (although a tank should generally have 20% of the water changed every 2 weeks). Keep in mind also that your tank will be cycling again, which means your ammonia will be high for a little while (not good for fish).

Hope this helps.
-----
Phishie
Site Coordinator

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Betta male - aged or sick? - okty2k, Fri May 21 02:10:48 2010