return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Burmese Python . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Fish Compatability Question.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: phishie at Thu Aug 14 16:10:07 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by phishie ]  

No tiger barbs in the tank.... you will find if you add them they are QUITE agressive. I had them in a semi-aggressive tank, and they even picked on my red tailed shark, and he was the most aggressive one before the tiger barbs.
I feel that cory cats do a better job at bottom tank clean up, and you could probably have 4-6, but I would add them a good bit after your tank has been set up so they have something to eat.
Mollies are fine. The gouramis - the opaline gouramis are semi-aggressive so the temperament is BAD for your tank which is a community tank. That goes for the gold too.
Fiddler crabs cannot live only in water... they need to be able to crawl around on land as well. I would not recommend them being a part of your tank.
Also, the bala shark is semi-aggressive. I wouldn't put it in your tank either. There are a couple peaceful sharks: columbian shark and chinese hi banded shark.

Now that I've almost fully torn down your options, I'd like to give you some suggestions.

You can have any of the following (and if you wanted to run some more choices by me, I'd be glad to look them all over):
- guppies
- tetras
- rasboras
- platies
- hatchets
- some killifish (some are also semi-aggressive so you can't have those ones in your tank)
- swordtails
- some loaches (again, some are semi-aggressive)
- peaceful rainbow fishes (some are aggressive so beware)

I'm not sure what all you have available to you at your pet store. A good starting point for all the details about the above listed fish is the link below. Check that out for compatibility charts, pictures, and information. It also gives you ball park price ranges for certain fish.

Please let me know if you want any more help with your tank and choosing the fish to put in it. I'd be more than happy to look things over again for you.
Live Aquaria

-----
Phishie

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Fish Compatability Question. - Galcian, Thu Aug 14 18:36:22 2008

<< Previous Message:  Fish Compatability Question. - Galcian, Thu Aug 14 10:32:56 2008