return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Blood Python . . . . . . . . . .  The Indian Eyed Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Sick Convict???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mgianotti at Tue May 19 19:07:39 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mgianotti ]  

Hi everyone, my name is Mandy and my husband and I have had our aquarium for the past 7 years with (65 gallon half hexagon shape) 4 convicts, a jack dempsey, an oscar (purchased a month ago) and a blood parrot. My largest and oldest convict (it's probably 6 1/2 yrs old) has been laying on its side in a cave for the past few days. It is able to get up and swim short distances, but when it does I noticed that it is really having to work to get oxygen on one side of its body. I just did the gravel cleaning and took out 40% of the water. The tank is still very dirty, but I didn't want to upset the fish overly much. I have recently had to take over the complete upkeep of the tank because our son has shown a HUGE interest in the tank and he wanted to do something with these fish. Generally, our fish are very healthy and happy and require no work. I did start buying live food (feeder fish and live shrimp) for them to eat. I bought the food at chain pet stores. I guess what my question is, is how long do convicts live? This fish is approx. 8 inches long. How often should I feed the fish (my husband says 2x a week, 3x max but my son wants to feed them 2x a day) and finally should I just take all the fish out of the tank and do a thorough clean out or just keep doing the gravel cleaner each week?
Oh, I did check the ammonia level today for the first time ever and it did register as between .25 and .50. I also added some of the stress coat and the med. for injured fish. I only put in enough for a 55 gallon tank...again, this is the first time we have had a sick fish (we started with cichlids 8 years ago) and i didn't want to upset the whole tank for one unwell fish. I got rid of my smaller tank and so I can't quarantine this poor fishy.
Mandy

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sick Convict??? - phishie, Wed May 20 05:44:53 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Sick Convict??? - docsperf, Thu Jun 18 14:57:13 2009