return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Stocking New 50gal Tank

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: LadyBetta13 at Tue Oct 2 20:08:53 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by LadyBetta13 ]  

Hello, all you experts! I have a question for you all!

I am getting a new 50 gal tank for Christmas, and I am planning out how to stock my first large aquarium! I have ideas in mind, but I need help about possible overstocking and compatability issues.

First, I would like to tell you about what I have now. I currently own a 5 gal tank with a Male Blue Veiltail Betta and two Black Mollies. It is filtered and planted with aquarium plants and Lucky Bamboo. The Mollies came in after the Betta, but rearranging the tank reduced his aggression instantly, and swims with the mollies peacefully after the first day. Plus, no fin nipping on part of the mollies! I added some salt in the water for their benefit as well: one tablespoon.

I told you about the situation with my betta and mollies because this proved to me that what I later discovered were unlikely tankmates are at times compatible with the right space and environment, and this is relevant to what I have in mind.

Now for my 50 gallon:

I was planning on this for sure:
2 Veiled Marble Angelfish (grows to 6"
2/3 Blue or Opaline Gourami (4" each)
King Betta (Also 4"
6 Harlequin Rasbora (2" each)

I understand that Bettas are aggressive, as well as Gourami, but with heavily planted space, and given places to hide, I think this could work... Or am I wrong?

Also, I have one more addition: The sole reason for such a large tank.
I want a Black Ghost Knife Fish.

Now, I KNOW they absolutely require at the very least a 100 gallon tank when full grown. Unfortunately, money is tight and so is space. I chose tankmates around the BGK because I knew how badly I wanted him. This is not a deal where I think I will get a tank and it creeps up on me. I AM getting a bigger tank. Just not where I am at the moment. I heard that five year olds grow pretty close to adult size, so I'm saving up before then in order to get thing prepared for the long term. I care for the well being of all my pets, and I took everything into deep consideration.

I suppose what I'm asking is that even with the addition of this gentle giant, even as a baby and taking these other fish into account, are they compatible? And will they be overstocked in the short term?

I accept all critique with an open mind, and I understand if this possible setup may be cause for you to disagree. I am all ears and open to any suggestions you may have for me.

LadyBetta13

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Stocking New 50gal Tank - phishie, Sun Oct 14 18:59:31 2012