return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cockatiel handling...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Tue Sep 23 16:44:08 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

Any time spent whether holding, training, or playing should help your bond and the possibility that she may learn to tolerate or even want scritches and cuddles.

Hmmm, if I had to choose just one out of the birds I have??? Well I can choose two - three of my birds but not necessarily the species as a whole. I guess Gizmo would have to be my favorite. She is a goffins cockatoo. When I got her I had worked with "secondhand" goffins before and had friends or acquaintaces who had them as well. I was warned that they aren't the "smartest" cockatoo, or the cuddliest and most seem to think they are the hyperest and slowest to learn (although not the loudest) well Gizmo seems to prove all the stereotypes wrong. Everyone even BirdTalk magazine claimed they will not work for treats and have short attention spans compared to most of the too family or even other birds. Well Gizmo will do anything for a jalapeno treat (zupreem treats). She will work endlessly with no nippiness or tantrums on a new trick. She flies to me and to her perch on command, she steps up and down, she dances, shows me "pretty big bird" with her wings spread. Sings, and says many words and phrases at just the right moment. She also can pick any lock unscrew any quicklink, take out any bolt even when wrench or plier tightened. She can destroy a new toy in less than an hour no matter how hard the wood or intricate the knots. Then she is ready to cuddle on my lap and lean her head under my chin. I do have to say though that this does not seem to be the norm with goffins and I have been lucky to get her.

I do have to say I have two others that would be right up there with my favorite and that is Lewy "my" african grey and Mackadoo (Macky for short) my B&G. Lewy came to me as an eight year old second hand bird who supposedly bit everybody, refused to talk and wouldn't come out of his cage. The first day I brought him home he climbed out onto my hand leaned over against me and started "cooing". He now unlocks his cage and climbs to his playtop to await his turn at play and time with me. He doesn't really take to much trick training but is good with "obedience" (step up, down etc). He and his buddy Alex the amazon tattle on the other birds and holler "MoooooMMMM" when anyone is too noisy, gets out of their cages by themselves or throws food. He also likes to tell the other birds when I come in "Be quiet, Mommy's here now!" LOL!!
Macky the B&G is my ornery one. He can be nippy and too hyper but will settle down when he has plenty of attention. He knows his colors, demands his choice of treat whether it be a banana, nut, apple or coney (bird bread in a kiddie cone), and he is not happy if you try to give him another treat he will holler NOOOO WANT (whatever he asked for first). He meows like a cat, barks like a dog and "tries" to sing Old McDonald. When he is meowing he will tell you he is a "Good Kitty, pet the Kitty". He has his favorite music and wants to hear it constantly if you can believe it "stray cat strut" LOL!

So as you can see it can be hard to pick out a favorite and even after those three I can tell you reason why each and everyone could be my favorite. But those three are my babies. They chose me when they were brought here, not the family not my husband etc just me. All the other birds we have either like me or tolerate me but seem to like others as well and don't mind if there playtime or training is led by a different person. Those three pout, sulk and throw a fit if someone else is trying to take my place so it makes me feel wanted LOL!

And yes I have a full day and not necessarily any "me" time but I love it and it is always interesting. I know if there ever comes a time when it isn't as fun and interesting anymore it will be time to let someone else take over the rescue and to just spend time with my own birds but now I love it and so far always have so I keep flapping along

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cockatiel handling... - PtsRPpl2, Thu Sep 25 08:06:29 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: Cockatiel handling... - PtsRPpl2, Tue Sep 23 08:44:26 2008