return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Whats easier to say?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Sun Feb 28 10:32:17 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

Usually two syllable words are easier to teach or learn than a single syllable. In fact our cockatiels seem to learn simple phrases better than a single word. We have one that says Pretty bird, hi Baby, kiss kiss etc. Another that says Gimme a kiss, Pretty Bird, Whatcha doin', and Sweetie bird. I haven't had any in that will say just a single word by itself. In my opinion it seems to interest them more with more syllables.

As far as simple tunes they do of course learn whistling easier than singing and ours will do the Wolf whistle, Jingle bells, and a few "chorus" tunes from newer artists. (In fact ours have a favorite right now a "Toybox" song called something like Best Friend that has a fast beat chorus sound in the middle. We have had mixed luck with Old McDonald. They do seem to like the quicker beats rather than the older slower beats to learn to whistle and actually do better with a "pop" type beat than the Childrens' songs beat.

Hope that helps

I don't think I noticed on the first question, how old is this cockatiel and is it definitely a male? If it is a normal grey or has been sexed of course it would be definite but we have had a few "males" turn out to be females and a few "females" turn out to be males because their markings looked more to be the opposite sex. And of course females won't talk and very rarely learn to whistle (in fact I have never seen one learn but have heard a few say they will whistle a little).

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• Whats easier to say? - MsPony, Thu Feb 25 12:41:23 2010
    • You Are HereRE: Whats easier to say? - PHIggysbirds, Sun Feb 28 10:32:17 2010

>> Next topic:  Clubs etc. in Florida? - Norrad, Wed Apr 21 23:30:16 2010
<< Previous topic:  ~~~~Breeding question~~~~ - MrsSanchez, Mon Jan 18 20:25:27 2010