return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

New African Grey

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: blancs at Mon Mar 3 04:16:52 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by blancs ]  

Hi All,
This is my first message here

On Saturday I adopted a 10 yr old Male African Grey called Jake. His last owner was an old lady who died (he does a good imitation of her cough which is very disturbing).

He is very friendly although he prefers my boyfriend to me. He will sit on our knees and watch television, and sat on my shoulder while I cooked dinner last night. He did refuse to go back into his cage last night, but i think he had too much excitement so was playing up a bit. We tepted him back with a peice of pepper in the end.

Anyway, he has settled in really well I think, but both of us are neww to parrot keeping. We have enough info about his diet, and his poo looks healthy, but i think he has had his wings clipped, and we would like him to be able to fly.

Can anyone tell me how long flight feathers take to grow back and if there is any other reason he may not be flying? his wings look a bit short and the feathers look a bit gappy when he flaps his wings.

Could this be because of his diet? he doesnt seem to be plucking them. is there anything else that could cause feather loss on his wings? All the rest of his feathers look fine, its just his wings....

also, does he need a cutlefish? i think he has predominantly been fed on seed mix and monkey nuts by his previous owner.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Blancs!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  My baby has a split beak... - blancs, Thu Mar 6 03:38:56 2008
<< Previous topic:  New here and need help with my grey - Romeo_Julian, Sun Mar 2 08:42:10 2008