return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: the smallest cockatoo

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Thu May 1 23:10:02 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

Sorry I saw this question also asked above, I must have skipped right over it when I responded to the others so I will answer it here.

A lot is going to depend where you are located. It may also make a difference as to whether the bird is handfed, socialized and parent fed or just parent raised. Different breeders charge different prices according to each.

In my area (Missouri) there would be around the following costs
bare-eyed cockatoo (haven't seen as many breeders of these) around $800-$1000.
goffins cockatoo $650-$900
mini macaw (will also depend on type) $750-$1100
eclectus (depending on type) $800-$1100
pionus $700-$900

These prices run a wide range but the lower priced ones are generally (not always) parent fed babies without much human socialization. People who handfeed or well socialize and abundance wean their babies are more likely to charge a little more money for their time and care. These prices are listed from different breeders I have had contact with in my area so again may not be accurate for your area or even all over my area.

Also some breeders will try to offer you a deal if you finish handfeeding the baby yourself and will try to convince you that it will bond better with you. This is definitely not true!!! A baby bird will "grow away" from its parent at some point and if it sees you as a parent may completely switch who it is bonded to upon maturity. If it meets you after having been weaned it should still bond to you but will be less likely to view you as a "parent". Also if you buy a fully weaned baby from a breeder there will most likely either be a health certificate from their vet or they will allow you to take it to a vet within so many days and if a problem is found refund you the money paid. If you buy an unweaned baby many things can go wrong and there is absolutely no guarantee with your baby. If it dies either from past mistakes (at the breeder) from unnoticed health problems already developed or through your own error in care then you are just out the money and the baby!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: the smallest cockatoo - banjobert, Sat May 3 13:12:06 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: the smallest cockatoo - banjobert, Wed Apr 30 16:02:22 2008