return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

setting boundries for a velcro bird

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wolfcry72 at Wed Jun 25 17:48:23 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wolfcry72 ]  

Quick story (I hope), we adopted a 11 month old Blue and Gold macaw with an identity crisis... he thinks he is a umbrella too or some other overly needy species. With my wife and my three (12 and up) kids he is great, they can handle him/pet him and he is fine playing on his stand or in his cage while they are in the room, me on the other hand if I am in the room he screams or whines or acts like a little fledgling until I pick him up and after that he is glued to me with his head on shoulder body to my chest and wont step off me without a fit and a half. Dont' get me wrong I am flattered to be loved but if I am in the living room for 12 hours its a little annoying. He has only been home a few weeks and we had him on layaway for a month before that and we had visited him everyday (me more so than the rest of the family). So whats the best way to set boundries with this guy without pushing him away as I don't want him to feel neglected or not want me in the long run. Don't take me wrong I like/plan on spending a couple hours with him snuggling or playing but I just would like to be able to put him down for a bit and be in the same room without all the drama. Ps. is not my first bird, I grew up with two green wings and a bunch of conures and the wife and I had a U2 of our own for 10 years before I had to get rid of her due to severe allergies to the too dust.
Here is a quick pic of us.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: setting boundries for a velcro bird - PHIggysbirds, Wed Jun 25 22:53:21 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: setting boundries for a velcro bird - centaurlea, Fri Jul 11 10:49:02 2008