return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Too Late to Train?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Sun Oct 19 18:54:23 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

If you are wanting another budgie for yourself as well as for her then I would suggest getting another one. But I would suggest that at least at first you plan on keeping them in separate cages. Birds do not have to be in the same cage to offer companionship to each other. The cages (after quarantine) could be set up beside each other, then if the female seemed interested in the new male you could introduce them in a neutral space or cage and see how it works, if she pecks at him instead of being receptive to his companionship then keep them separate and you can still have them both for feathered friends and as separate companions to each other.

If you are getting a new bird for your other bird only and not as a companion to yourself as well then I would not suggest getting another bird. If your female has not show interest in companions she may be quite happy without one. As you said she is showing more "happiness" since her mate is gone. It is possible that after being left alone without a mate and without real handling that if you approach slowly and patiently she may even be receptive to taming or training. Circumstances do change a birds personality and she may be much more content without a mate.

Unless you are a breeder and planning on having a houseful of birds or have homes to give babies to I would not suggest getting a large group of budgies as they will take more time to take care of and have less chance of becoming friendly to people. (I do realize some people have whole aviaries full of "tame" birds but this is rarer than having an aviary of breeder birds that are not as receptive to human contact.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  can my budgies stay outside at night - allen1919, Sun Oct 26 20:40:42 2008
<< Previous topic:  Bird likes pellets..... - chamsrcool, Sun Oct 5 13:47:32 2008