return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Lots of Questions and Opnions Needed

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Aleu at Tue Jan 27 16:07:00 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Aleu ]  

Hi there here is my poorely organized story...please bear with me....
I have been researching a few different bird and parrot species to find out which one is the best fit for me. I have had a few species in mind and thought I had narrowed it down...but then whilst in a privately owned pet store picking up some food and looking at some birds, I saw a rather quiet and demure Amazon (not sure what type, maybe yellow naped). I started talking to it and it seemed shy, but came over to me and was trying to mimic me.
I inquired about him and he is 14 years old and has been at the store for 1 year or more (some guy gave him up). The owner took him out so I could hold him and he immediately sidled up to my shoulder where he proceeded to fluff himself up and regurgutate food for me (never met this parrot before). I don't know what it is about him, but I can't stop thinking about him. I had not considered an Amazon...and I have met some others that I suspect were Amazons and just didn't give them a second look at all but this one was different.
As far as living arrangements, I live in a 3 family house (separate apartments)that is owned by my family in a city near boston. My neighbor used to have a macaw that I never heard screech until he was outside...a bunch of other neighbors have parakeets and other birds (i can hear them even now in winter). My neighbors dogs bark a lot at 8 am...so i am sure some screeching in the morning or occasional screeching is not that bad compared to those two German Shepherds constantly barking up a storm every day, but I'd still like to know what all you current owners think based on that comparison. I feel it would just blend in with the GSD's the other birds and just city sounds so that no one neighbor could just complain about whatever bird i get (although no one really complains around here). Of course in the house itself it is not loud so the bird would not be stressed.

Here are my questions:
-Based on what I have typed....do you current owners think it's do-able with regards to noise? I could personally care less about the noise.
- What time do your amazons typically "go to bed"? My beardies have lights off at 8 pm, so I have a nice quiet dark room for whatever bird I get.
-Exactly how much and loud do they screech and would it just "blend in" with all the other noises that go on around here sometimes? or will it be like a macaw where it is so ear piercing and constant that I will have the cops called on me?
- He was very quiet and well behaved in the pet store...but of i got him home, would likely screech because of the change and be a bit upset? How long would that last?
-Is the fact he was quiet and well behaved in the pet store a good sign or does it mean he is just depressed because no one gives him the time of day?
- Is it a common occurance for them to regurge for a stranger (me) fluff themselves out and make themselves comfy on their (my)shoulder? or are they just charmers?

And also....i could care less about the following:
- Biting
- Noise INSIDE the house that might wake me up or an noise...it's just the neighbors I worried about.
- High levels of attention
- Money 9i'd make sure to budget).
- Having to buy fresh foods...i already do it for my other animals.
- I could care less if it ever talks again...I just like this bird for some reason talking or no talking.
- Mood swings....I have pets that are display only as well and I have some that go through breeding season biting lol I'm ok with letting my animals be animals.

Things I already have a constant supply of anyway:
-Calcivet and beak blocks for the squirrel who have specific calcium and D3 needs.
-UV lights
-Space for a huge cage
- A quiet dark room for the animals (dedicated solely to my animals).
- Fresh fruits, nuts, and veggies.
- bird seed for the gerbils.
-perches around the house to accomodate the squirrel at night when he is awake. Would be good for a bird as well and there is no risk of zoonotic disease.
-I realize that I still need to leave it in my will even though it is 14 years old.
-Time...I have plenty of it...
- I don't travel a lot and if I do i try to bring my animals with me.

Would this be a good fit? I'd of course have to research some more and will not impulse buy this bird (otherwise it'd be here alreadu!)...but I don't even want to bother if all you current owners think it's a bad idea due to the noise and my living situation. If you think it might possibly work can you recommend any books for me to read besides researching on forums and the internet? I hope I have typed everything clearly...if not feel free to ask clarifying questions.I am not very good at organizing my thoughts in type since I have soooo many questions about this bird lol.

Thank you for your time!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Lots of Questions and Opnions Needed - PHIggysbirds, Tue Jan 27 20:54:32 2009