return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Amazon Update

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Aleu at Thu Jan 29 17:30:55 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Aleu ]  

The neighbors are OK. The one I was worried about said it shouldn't be a problem and I have a witness that he said that. He says he jut had a problem with the rock and roll and heavy metal band practicing (which no longer practices here really) but he doesn't care about the animals sounds, even the loud dogs he lives next door to, which i was surprised about.

I talked tot he woman at the store (the one I talked to yesterday) and visited the parrot again. Apparently the store bought the bird from him because he lived in an apartment complex (not a house like mine) and the neighbors complained about his dogs and his bird to their landlord. He was given a choice to get rid of the dogs or the bird. The pet store owner bought a cage just for that bird and they are selling that cage for $100. here is the cage: http://www.birdscomfort.com/Image/medium_stainless_bird_cages.gif
So they didn't just shove the bird into this tiny canary cage, although a bigger one would be nice.

She said when the bird first got there, he had been missing some feathers (probably due to stress) and that she refused to put him on sale until he was all settled (this was 1 year ago of course). She said he just seemed nervous when he first got there and I guess the only real difference was that he actually "talks" more now compared to when he first got there. She said she wasn't sure if he is a confirmed male since that guy could have been lieing or guessing about the sex of the bird. I stayed there talking to her for quite a bit about all of this. She warned me about tefflon (which i thought was very good since most pet stores or people don't know about tefflon and birds).

I then asked her if I could reach in the cage myself and have the bird step-up (like you told me to) and she agreed. So I opened the cage and as I went to put my hand in there, he raised his foot in anticipation to step up and stepped right up without the woman there. He seemed very relaxed too. He then sidled up to my shoulder again and fluffed himself out and seemed quite content. I asked the woman to try to get him off my shoulder (since I didn't have a mirror to see what I was doing) and because I am a stranger to him. She tried...but he would not leave my shoulder. If I get him, we will have to work on that, but I didn't want to push it since he is new to me and because fo the fact he is not my bird. I've read you shouldn't let amazons on your shoulder anyway due to their unpredictability/excitability, especially yellow napes (which I am fairly sure he is now). Not sure if the shoulder thing is a good or bad sign.
He also followed me around the room in his cage and vocally called me back when I went to leave the room (this could turn into a bad behavoir from what I've read, so I'd have to watch that if I bought him). The owner also reached in his cage when I was there after I had already put him back, but he seemed reluctant to leave his cage once I had put him back. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign or if it's "new person syndrome" where because I am new, he is on his best behavior. Even if that is the case, I am willing to work with him.

Sooo....I have ordered all the books you told me to order I am going to keep visiting the bird as I think I might be able to do this now with the OK if the neighbors and armed with help from books and from this and other forums. However...I am still thinking long and hard about this since I really like this bird a lot and the last thing I want to do is do wrong by him or see him unhappy. I already have a vet picked out for him if I do buy him (actually two, just in case one is not available) and they specialize in exotics and birds. I have had experience with both vets with other animals and they are just great. I also have easy access to the best ER vet hospital in my state.

I will continue to visit other stores with birds although I got a chance to visit some of them today and none of them quite compare to my connection with this bird yet. I want to wait until I go to the really big one with the nursery to make sure. I also want to read up more too.

Sooo what's your thoughts? For any new bird, what is a good initial checkup? I was going to get a check over and at least a fecal done. anything else to test for regardless of the bird I end up getting?lol I am sorry for beign so long winded. I like being detailed and like I said, I'm not good at typing. Take your time

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Amazon Update - PHIggysbirds, Fri Jan 30 22:38:09 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: Lots of Questions and Opnions Needed - Aleu, Tue Jan 27 22:09:07 2009