return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cause of death

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Tue Jul 21 23:10:17 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

I really don't think this is common for lovebirds or any other type of birds.

I would strongly suggest seeing a vet first and foremost to get a wellness exam done. Or a necropsy done on the one that died or both.

I would suggest removing your remaining lovebird from the cage it is in (I am guessing they shared a cage?) and clean the cage very thoroughly from top to bottom. Do not use a strong cleaner (like bleach) use a safe one like GSE or if you don't have or can't find that then use a mixture of vinegar and water. Make sure to clean all toys, perches bowls etc. More than likely if it was a bird contagious illness it will have already spread but still better to be safe. Make sure your female is eating well. Even though birds don't have the same feelings as humans (or at least not that we know of ) I do believe they show signs of grief. Whether that is because they notice a change in their owners attitude or mood, whether they sense the loss of a cagemate/playmate or if they actually understand death I don't have a clue, but they will show signs of moping around etc after a mate dies. Sometimes even if the other bird was of a different species and in a different cage. The lethargy etc could be caused by illness or by a kind of grief. They same would go for not eating as much. That is why either way I would suggest a trip to the vet.

As far as what caused the death I don't have a guess. There are so many sicknesses etc that a bird can get even if they are getting great care that without a vet checking a bird out I would't even be able to try a guess. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• Cause of death - DumDee, Mon Jul 20 15:37:08 2009
    • You Are HereRE: Cause of death - PHIggysbirds, Tue Jul 21 23:10:17 2009

>> Next topic:  The life and death of Buck - Rouen, Tue Jul 21 19:12:08 2009
<< Previous topic:  lonely lovebirds - nickhorobin, Thu Jun 18 02:24:49 2009