return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Toy warning!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jackskeets at Tue Nov 17 09:13:35 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jackskeets ]  

I recently bought a new toy for the young flock to play with. It has a bunch of 'wicker'-type rings and beads, also it had 3 hanging fringe bundles. The bundles of fringe were not wicker or straw, but string. The birds all loved those strings! Every day I would see 2 or three of them hanging on it, chewing on it. Just having a great time. But yesterday, One of the twins got herself all tangled, around her neck! It was just one of the strings, and she was just hanging from it. She would flutter and pull herself up so it wasn't choking her, but it took two of us to get her untangled! Salty was so relieved! He ran to her side and was kissing all over her. She has become his new best girl, and to see her in such danger, he was panicked.

I've since cut all the string fringes off the toy, but the birds are all very leary of it still. I guess I'll just pull it out completely and replace it with a toy that has no string fringes to begin with. What a shame, this toy was marketed for parakeets, and it nearly cost me my youngest girl She is fine now, but how scary, I am just so glad I'm home all day to notice when things happen right away, I hate to think of what would have happened had she been left there 8hours while I was working!
-----
Dianne,
Mom to a 12 yr old human girl (still in obedience training!)
A 1 year old Aussie/Border Collie mix "Jack"
A 9 year old gray short-hair Korat-looking kitty "Timothy"
A 9 year old black 'n' white short hair kitty "Trouble"
8 parakeets "Salty" m 3yrs, "Sea" f approx 1yr, "Pepper" m approx 1yr, and 5 hatchlings.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereToy warning!!! - jackskeets, Tue Nov 17 09:13:35 2009

>> Next topic:  My macaws lower beak grows weird - goldmasa, Fri Dec 4 16:49:57 2009
<< Previous topic:  Final Role Call - jackskeets, Thu Oct 15 12:05:36 2009