return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My macaws lower beak grows weird

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Fri Dec 4 17:27:10 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

We have an eclectus who has this exact same problem. There is no real "cure" for it. Just try to make sure there are plenty of both hard and soft woods to chew (as it sounds like you already are). Some birds will injure or damage their beaks at an early age and it will cause a part of the beak to grow in an odd way. I am guessing at his/her old home that maybe there weren't enough toys offered or at sme point the beak was allowed to fully overgrow, then it does seem that it is much harder to keep the beak even as it should be. Sometimes the birds are completely healthy other than the odd growing beak. Have you had your bird thoroughly checked by your vet? The only reason I ask this is that sometimes a liver problem will cause the beak to grow more rapidly (but usually this is the entire beak not just one section). If this keeps happening you might ask your vet to show you how to use a hand grinder to lightly grind down that edge of the beak. If your macaw is healthy otherwise this would help keep his beak trimmed and then you would only have to visit the vet for his checkups or in case of illness.

Sorry I couldn't be more assistance.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Can you clip a Macaw's tail? - Simpleton, Mon Jan 11 17:40:12 2010
<< Previous topic:  Toy warning!!! - jackskeets, Tue Nov 17 09:13:35 2009