return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: falconry and hawking?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: medic at Thu Dec 18 18:34:53 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by medic ]  

what is falconry and hawking? Falconry is define as the sport of taking wild game with a trained Bird of Prey ie Hawks, Falcons and in some states Golden Eagles may be used.
In order to get involed with falconry You should first consider the amount of time and expense that is involed, also to practice falconry you should understand that it is a form of Hunting and depending on your state has a min. age requirements in my state it's 15 yrs. Also you would have to take a State Falconry Exam and once that is done you should check with your state Wildlife Div. and find out if it is legal in your state (Which unless you live in Hawaii it would be. The next step is to find out if there any local falconer's that would be willing to let you go out with them when they go out with their birds.

what spiecies are commonly kept for them, That depends on your state regs, But usually it,s a Redtail hawk which the birds that most falconer's start out with again it may vary with your state.

and if there is a begginer speicie for it what size cage does it need and what tempetures can it satand? Falconry birds live outside in a Mew and the size again depends on your state regs.

also i know this is the wrong forum but does anyone know anything about keeping vultures? I am not sure if you can keep a vultures ? Your State Fish and Wildlife Div. would be the best place to start you maybe able to get a Special Purpose Permit. can't get into this stuff but interested. I hope that I was able to help you with your quest. Good Luck Medic

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  falconry and hawking? - banjobert, Fri Jan 18 15:58:12 2008