return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Mother's Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Horse blanket size? Too big?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PH Cody at Mon Nov 29 13:28:41 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PH Cody ]  

>>I noticed they say to get a 72" for a 14.2-15HH horse, and a 76" for an average size horse, then 80" for 16.2 . I have a little 14.2 (maybe) guy and a girl about 15 or 15.1. My best buy is going to be to get two 76" blankets. Would it be bad to put a 76" one on the 14.2 boy as well, or is too big a problem, like would it be too drafty? Or should I just get the 72 for him and the 76 for her? Thanks!

Actually, if you go by that, you'll have blankets that really don't fit The blankets aren't dependant on height. Take a flexible measuring tape, like you would use for sewing. If you don't have one, use baling twine and then measure that on a yard stick, etc. Place one end dead center of your horse's chest, then measure back to the center of his tail and you'll have the measurement of the blanket you need.

You'll still have some variation to work with, because even the right measurement for the blanket won't always be "right" if the blanket's shape and your horse's build don't suit. For instance, I have a tall and long yearling, so he measures into the same size his sire did but he doesn't have near the shoulder or muscle, so we had to opt for a blanket slightly too short over his butt so it didn't hang too low at his shoulder.

But like has already been said, the easiest is to go naked We only blanket if we're showing and have them under lights to keep their winter coats from growing in.

-----
PH Cody
HorseHobbyist Site Coordinator

Come join our Saturday Night Barn Party from 9-11 also! PHRitters is always ready to party

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Well the blanket's more for camping than anything... Thanks! - ElusiveKimmaby, Fri Dec 3 01:46:45 2004

<< Previous Message:  Horse blanket size? Too big? - ElusiveKimmaby, Sat Nov 27 19:33:28 2004