return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Saddle and foot problems, oh my! Help?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ElusiveKimmaby at Tue Aug 15 13:46:42 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ElusiveKimmaby ]  

Alrighty, I can't seem to get away from being stumped!
This season has been fairly dry, but certainly not dryer than last year. ALL of my horses are suffering from godawful cracks and breaking hooves, Jewel's feet are sprawling out at the bottom. I don't understand it at all. I'm putting hoof dressing (RainMaker) on them all, and on top of that, these cracks and nastinesses are happening a mere 3 weeks after the farrier's been here. Pretty Boy's shoes came off in 3 weeks, they've never done this before! I know it's not the farrier because my cousin moved her horse here, and ever since he's been on my property he's had the same troubles. What in the world is going on? What can I do? I got some bell boots for Pretty Boy when we put his shoes back on, but as for the rest they normally don't even need shoes!

THe other problem: The great saddle mystery. My TWH/SSH Jewel has puzzled me from day 1 on saddles. I have 4 saddles and not a single one of them fit her, so I went to a horse rescue auction and snagged a Spanish saddle "FOR A BROAD HORSE" thinking that would be perfect. I set it on her back and it fits her pretty well, but when I put a blanket and girth on her she proved me wrong. I've tried two different girth sizes, made the second one smaller, and tightened it as tight as it could possibly go, and still when I went to mount her the saddle slipped all the way down her belly. Just to see if she was blowing out I tried sliding it back up and it wouldn't budge. WHAT ON EARTH? Is there anything I should measure her for before I go saddle shopping, or maybe a certain kind of pad that I should try? I'm stumped, and I'm not made of money either so I can't just have a saddle made I really need to win the lottery... in the meantime, any suggestions before I have to save up for a year and then spend it all on the last resort of having something made? Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Saddle and foot problems, oh my! Help? - Winona, Tue Sep 5 10:21:00 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Saddle and foot problems, oh my! Help? - wundahoss, Sun Oct 8 18:01:15 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Saddle and foot problems, oh my! Help? - KKL, Thu Nov 2 20:08:31 2006