return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Gorgeous

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: czeckers at Sat Feb 5 23:27:48 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by czeckers ]  

Vets recommend Science Diet because the Hills company gives scholarships for a lot of veterinary schools across the US. Not to mention all the vets that I've talked to will admit that they do not know much about pet nutrition (as far as what's available), they know about pet health and so far as they see it, a cat can survive on grocery store food, science diet, premium diets or raw diets as long as they're for cats. Think about it this way: If you're sick you go to a doctor, depending on what the problem is the docotor may send you to a surgon if you need surgery or he may send you to a dermatologist/nutrition specalist if you have skin problems. However, the surgon and the dermatologist do not know much about each other's professions, nor could or would one ever try to give you information in the other person's field. That is what vets are like, unfortunately for pets there are not many specalists in fields. There's just the general veterinary field which covers small aspects of overall pet health but does specalize. Hence the Science Diet recommendation...My vet even recommended me the WalMart brand cat food once claiming that a few of his customers raved about how cost effective it was.

BTW, Felidae is a good food, it is up there with Wellness and Solid Gold. It is better than Nutro (Max or Complete Care) which both contain corn. I work in a natural pet health food store...raw by far exceeds dry or canned, but is more time consuming. I feed my cats only raw, but I've recommended people do 1/3 raw and 2/3 dry as a compromise, I find that after seeing the benefits of the potential that raw can do for the cat people usually end up going 100%, but that's up to you.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Gorgeous - JaimeMarie, Fri Aug 27 06:54:30 2004