return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Corn Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Switching Food

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ponygal1129 at Mon Mar 27 19:04:09 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ponygal1129 ]  

I would like to switch my cat to a less processed diet. I bought a dried food that has no by-products or corn products. I am trying to integrate chicken and shrimp (aka "human food" into her diet by combining it with her regular canned food for now and then weaning her off of the canned.

I am a little concerned for her because she really doesn't seem to favor the "human" food (for years I was so happy that she never got into the habit of wanting "my" food instead of hers" but that was before I started understanding exactly what went into HER food). She is older and already a little underweight (just came back from a nasty URI). She will occasionally eat jarred baby food, so I took the human food I cooked for her and pureed it so it is the same consistency. I've been spoonfeeding her the pureed food (she fights me a bit but generally will keep it down)and then when I go to work, I leave out a little bit of the canned food that she is used to and will eat on her own. I also have been supplementing her with NutriCal.

I really need some advice on how long it takes to really make the switch from canned to human food and if there are any tricks I can use to make it more tempting for her. And how do I make sure I am giving her enough? With a younger cat, I wouldn't worry about them losing a little bit of weight and than adjusting accordingly, but I just started getting weight back on her after her illness. I don't want to compromise her health by experimenting!

Also, I know that canned tuna has been labeled as having mercury issues. Is this something I should avoid feeding her (she does tend to like fishy stuff more than poultry)? What other types of fish can I give her safely?

Thanks so much in advance for any tips!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Switching Food - lil_animal_gurl, Tue Mar 28 09:24:41 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Switching Food - PHWildCat, Tue Mar 28 15:58:45 2006