return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New Cat!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Mon Aug 28 15:17:52 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi There,

Concats! I couldn't imagine that you wouldn't be approved.

I have to warn you, though, that it may take a lot longer than a few days for the 2 cats to get along. Remember, that torties also have TUDE and that the cats will have to establish who will be the top cat in the house. Chances are that the resident cat will be #1, but if the new kitty challenges her they will have to work it out.

I am owned by 2 torties that happen to get along extremely well. They lived together before but I adopted them years apart. One of the cats had been a resident in the cat hospital where I work for a few years. I adopted her not quite 3 months ago and she fit into my feline family right away. I let her mingle with my resident cats right away, but I am home a lot and I know her personality. She got along with all of the cats at the hospital and never showed aggression.

Your new baby should have her own room for at least a couple of weeks. This will give both cats a chance to get used to each other's smells before they actually meet. Don't be alarmed if there is growling and/or hissing through the door. This would be normal.

A shelter kitty is used to being around other cats and that will be to her advantage. I suspect that your calico will not be thrilled with the new arrival so she will need lots and lots of love and extra attention.

If you make the introduction slow and gradual it will be easier on everyone. When you do start letting the new baby out of her room, I wouldn't give her the run of the house. Unless you find that they get along from the start. Even then I would watch them very closely.

I have 10 cats here and have had mostly female cats that have always gotten along. One of my males is not wild about one of the girls, but they have learned to tolerate each other. As time goes on, they are spending more and more time close to each other. It used to be that they would prefer being in different rooms.

Take care, and please keep us updated on how things go. See you in the chats

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New Cat!! - PHTessie, Mon Aug 28 18:36:09 2006

<< Previous Message:  New Cat!! - Kaseys412, Mon Aug 28 13:08:16 2006