return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New home - introducing cats

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Fri Sep 29 17:31:04 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

Since it's two issues, I'll split my thoughts and then come together...

1. New House. When I moved my boys from their home of many years to the brand new condo, I did a lot of reading. The bottom line I read and experienced is that the cat(s) need to start small in a room and spend a week or as long as needed rather than being thrust in a whole new house at once. My boys stayed closed up in my bedroom with food/water/litter/toys for a week before they started acting like they were "comfortable" and wanted to venture out -- but stuck to my room as a "safe" room as it was established as that the first week. After a week of venturing, they were very comfortable in the new condo (took about two weeks total). Two things that may have made the transition longer for my boys -- the contractors were still working on the upper units (lots of noise during the day) and I had ceiling fans, which they had never seen. They spent the first 24 hours under my bed and didn't eat, drink, or use the litter box. I then pulled them out one at a time (the more outgoing cat first) and petted them and coaxed them in the litter box and to eat/drink. They kept looking at the ceiling fan like it was a monster the whole time (it was off). But, don't be surprised if one of your cats hides out. I would let them hid out for a few hours, but recommend coaxing them out after a few hours and work with them to use the box, eat, etc., if they aren't out wandering in their "room" anyway.

2. New Meetings. Since it seems to work best to keep new cats separated from each other a couple weeks anyway, you may just want to give them separate rooms from day one for the first week or so. Then when they want to venture out, I'd let one venture with the other closed in a room and vice versa. I'd rub towels on the cats and let them sniff. And then maybe have one in a cat carrier and let the other sniff and vice versa. All of this gradual over several days.

3. Happy Harmony. First I'd tackle the fear of the new house and keep the cats totally separate for a week or so. Then start with the slow integration with each other when they are "comfortable" in the house. It may be easier since both will be new to the house. Something to consider -- Whichever cat you keep in your bedroom, if you do, may be most territorial towards that room. You may want to consider giving them each a room not your bedroom...
-----
Tammy
Stanley and Pookey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New home - introducing cats - MsMiranda, Fri Sep 29 23:22:27 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  New home - introducing cats - MsMiranda, Fri Sep 29 10:54:53 2006 image in post *HOT TOPIC*