return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Would you speak up?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kittyromeo at Sun Mar 4 18:23:06 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kittyromeo ]  

Thank you to everyone who replied. I was really struggling with my own dislike of this vet. But my friends really like this vet, they have used to other.

Katc and Tessa pretty much summed up my own suspicious thoughts - Wuzzy might even be ill. We all tend to lose something as we age, often minor things that can be controlled as Tammy pointed out. I've played phone tag the past few days with my friends so I don't if there has been any change in the last week.

I'm not opposed to Wuzzy being allowed to die with dignity, I just don't understand how she could be given a death sentence with no explaination.

My friends lost a 3 y.o. cat to rabies vaccine related cancer about 18 months ago. This vet sent Mocha home to die (I don't know the location of the tumor or if amputation was raised. Mocha never left the master bedroom while I visited, unlike Wuzzy who comes and sees me) She had painkillers at one point. Twice they took her asking the vet if it was time to put her down, was she in a lot of pain, twice they were sent home. The third time they insisted Mocha be put down as they were going out of town and didn't want their sis who was cat sitting to be stuck making final arrangements. I recognize with their attachment to Mocha it might have been dicey for the vet to simply say "It's time."

But several years ago I picked up a mother cat and litter to foster. One kitten was clearly dying. I drove from the pick up to my own vet only to discover her scambling to cover a nasty emergency. So I drove to this vet and asked to have them put the kitten down. I was told the kitten was fine, asked to come back that afternoon for a scheduled appointment, which I did. When I came back, I pulled the kitten out of my shirt (I was trying to keep it warm) held it out and told the vet to put it down. She told me I could save the kitten, showed me how to tube feed it and sent me home. The kitten died mewling in pain 20 minutes later.

I've hesitated to speak up because if Wuzzy isn't dying, a little time might make my friends more inclined to consider getting a second opinion. And if she is, I think my position to be more of insisting they follow their gut when it comes to time to say good-bye.

Thanks again everyone for weighing in on a difficult call.

Purrs,
Elizabeth

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Would you speak up? - kittyromeo, Sun Mar 4 20:47:41 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Would you speak up? - ttpurr4cat, Sat Mar 3 16:01:14 2007