return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Feline CRF

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Fri May 18 19:26:32 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi Caitlin,

I'm sorry your cat has been diagnosed with CRF. I presently have 2 cats with this disease, one 10 years old and the other 17.

The "good" thing about CRF is that there are things you can do to make a cat comfortable and give them quality time. Some cats with CRF do very well and can live for years. This is especially true when it's caught in the early stages.

K/D is a good food for cats with kidney disease, although it may contain some by-products that your cat may not be able to digest well. This can cause the stool to have a stronger odor. My cat that is eating K/D does not have this problem, although she does not eat this food exclusively. She also gets chicken, tuna and ground turkey. At this point, with the pet food recall, I am not comfortable feeding any of my cats canned cat food.

The only way to keep the other cats from eating the KD is to feed the cat separately and don't leave the food down when the others can get to it. What I do is offer the dry K/D several times a day. This is easy for me because I'm home a lot.

There are a couple of fairly new suppliments that are helpful for cats with CRF, Epakaitin and Azodyl. If your vet carries them, please ask if he or she feels they would be helpful for your baby.

Fluids aren't too bad to give once you get used to it. I'm a vet tech so for me it's second nature, but most people are able to give fluids at home. If not, perhaps you can bring your cat to the hospital for fluids or hire a tech to come to your house when the time comes.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Feline CRF - crbovee, Fri May 18 12:35:44 2007