return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: free kitten ads really getting to me!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kittyromeo at Thu May 31 19:14:55 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kittyromeo ]  

I'm so sorry for your frustration, but there is no way to legislate against stupidity; it's simply a fact of life. People who have no business with pets (or kids for that matter!) will wind up with them. The rest of us are left to clean up the mess.

I thought Freecycle had a universal no free pets ad policy? Could you contact the local moderator to enforce the rule? Our local moderator sent mass warnings last year about the issue throughout kitten season.

Your description of how this affects you sounds terrible - have you thought about redirecting your energies? I'd hate for you to burn out when it's clear you are passionate about doing the right thing. If there is no mobile s/n unit in your area, could you step aside or cut back from your current duties to write grant proposals so your shelter could have one? Help with the coordination and promotion of an existing unit? Or one shelter in our area at one time ran a cat taxi service to a low cost clinic for elderly people. I'm sure it nipped a few "cat ladies" in the bud.

I guess what I'm asking it there a way you could step away from talking to such careless, thoughtless people while working to open more doors for them to do the right thing. Sometimes when we are so busy trying to save the animal directly in front of us, we lose track of opportunities to do a greater good. (and you need to be able to sleep at night - you deserve it after working hard for so many who can't speak for themselves)

Purrs,
Elizabeth

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  free kitten ads really getting to me!! - lorrie71, Wed May 30 23:32:15 2007