return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Astro Climbed the Stairway to the Rainbow Bridge

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fur_momma at Mon Apr 5 10:28:55 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fur_momma ]  

My sweet Astro is now gone to the rainbow bridge. On Thursday, last week, we took him for vaccinations and for a check up. He was loosing weight, and I was concerned.
The vet told us Friday he had a tumor on his thyriod... but that wasn't the worst. Astro had a very sever kidney infection. He was severly dehydrated. She kept him Thursday night to force fluids subcutaneously. I insisted in visiting him the next morning. He couldn't hold his head up any longer. Just 24 hours before he was playing and meowing. NOw he was trying to walk, his eyes weren't focusing, and he had this neck stiff and head low. She said, "oh! he must be low on potasium".
They would have never noticed if I had'nt gone in there. They put him on an IV with potasium, and my husband went to visit him... an dhe was eve WROSE!
We rushed him to the closest emergency vet that was 20 miles away. As we left the original vet, they told us, oh, he is fine. Cats just get weak.
When we saw the new vet, she said, his right kidney is the size of a pea and the left is very swollen. He is in kidney failure and it will be fatal if nothing is done. She called UC Davis and got him arranged for a kidney transplant. Then he just kept getting worse. SHe couldn't understand it. He was struggling to breathe and wasn't able to even move. He was able to pass urine, but he didn't know it. My poor Astro was only 12 and a half.
She said that with Astro's rapid decline, he will make his own decission to go to the bridge, or we can help. We had lost our Golden Retriever, Kody, 4 years earlier to kidney faiure,and knew the pain that Kody suffered. WE decided to help Astro go in dignity and in our arms.
Now, after not yet 4 years I have to bury my 3rd fur-child.
I feel empty. My heart is numb and I'm in shock. I never knew he was even sick. I am so guilty for not taking him sooner. We adopted him on year ago ont he 28th of March. Although we only had him a short time, he was our first and only kitty. We love him dearly, and always will.
Goodbye Astro, the phenominal kitty....

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Astro Climbed the Stairway to the Rainbow Bridge - FisherCham20, Wed Apr 7 17:11:40 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: Astro Climbed the Stairway to the Rainbow Bridge - PHAbymom, Wed Apr 7 23:35:18 2004 image in post