return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Lost Chessie

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chatanuga at Sat Aug 7 13:09:47 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chatanuga ]  

Just had to say goodbye to Chessie this morning.

A week ago this past Monday, I took him to MedVet here in Columbus to have his heart checked. His doctor prescribed an increase in his furosemide. Later that afternoon, they called and were a little concerned about his bloodwork, asking that he have it checked again in one to two weeks by either them or his regular vet.

This morning, he was acting completely normal. I gave him his morning medicines, got around, and then we went to the vet's office. We got there, and again, he was acting completely normal, albeit very nervous as usual. About a minute before the vet came in the room to see him, he started to breath rapidly and went to leave his carrier, dragging his back legs. I knew something was wrong and was about to call for somebody to come in when the vet came in and instantly could tell that something was wrong. He checked Chessie's back legs but could get no pulse. They told me to take him straight to MedVet as they might be able to do something if they caught it soon enough. At about that point, he lost control of his bowels.

I don't even remember much of the drive to MedVet. On the way there, Chessie began panting and letting his tongue hang out. My vet's office had called ahead, and the cardiology staff at MedVet took him back to the ER. After a few minutes, they took me into a room. The doctors there as well as his regular doctor who they called at home all agreed that there was nothing that could be done. Even if he did pull through this, he would have trouble with his back legs. I told them that I didn't want him to suffer. They walked me back to where he was in an oxygen tank and on a couple IVs. I spent some time with him, and then I stepped outside while he was put to sleep.

They put him in a nice little casket for me to take him with me since I told them I wanted to take him up to my parents' house to bury him in the backyard where we always buried our dogs when they passed on.

Right now, I'm an emotional wreck. Casey, my other cat, is upset, crying, and looking all over for Chessie, even though I let him see him when I brought him in.

I just keep telling myself that he's in a better place. His heart issue was found when he was about five months old, and he was just over three and a half years today when he went. I did all I could for him, and he had always been happy and comfortable. At least now he's at peace and no longer has to worry about all the trips to the vet and MedVet to get checked out.

Kevin
-----

Chessie and Casey Jones relaxing together.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Lost Chessie - ttpurr4cat, Sat Aug 14 09:25:50 2010