return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

please help if you can

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bonkelsmeeks at Tue Oct 14 07:56:47 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bonkelsmeeks ]  

OK so I was the one with the cat who wouldn't stop crying all night long. Now we have a new problem.
This cat was a stray. She started coming around over a year ago when we first moved in. We slowly started letting her inside. She was hesitant, of course, but loved the attention (and food). We trapped her by putting food in the cage and shutting it when she went in. This is how we got her to the vet once for blood work (she's healthy) and once after she had kittens for a deworming. Now she won't go near the cage even if she's starving.
The vet gave us a sedative but we tried everything (and I mean everything the vet suggested and everything else we could think of) but she would not take the pill. Even wrapped in food, and once she smelled the pill she wouldn't even take food that didn't have a pill in it.
Then came the disaster, we had cancelled two vet appointments for lack of being able to get her in and this was the last straw, my husband and I haven't slept for weeks. So we tried to grab her, with a towel, and put her in the cage. This was the worst thing we could have done. She went crazy, thrashing, hissing, biting, scratching, until she got herself loose. Then it was like this year of trust we built up was destroyed and the cat wouldn't come out of hiding. When my husband opened the door to take the garbage out, she ran outside for the first time in 6 months (since before the kittens were born). We thought she'd be out for the night, but she disappeared for a week. She's bee back late at night but wouldn't come in. This morning I found her sleeping on our back porch and I opened the door and she came in. We had flee and tick stuff on her (Frontline) so we weren't worried about that.
After she came in, she let me pet her and even rolled around on her back purring with delight. Then she re-united with her kitten and they had some food together. She skiddish again, like when we first let her in but I would rather she didn't go back out because I can already see that another cat has scratched her nose and she was definitely found by a male because when her kitten sniffed her hind quaters the stray (Elsa's her name) almost whacked her even though you could tell Elsa was very happy to see her kitten again. She may even be pregnant again for all we know.
Now I don't know what to do. We love this cat, she's lovable, friendly and cuddly. But we can't get her to the vet and even in this last hour she's started the crying we used to hear all night. We bought those comfort zone plug ins but to no avail. Should I keep her inside or let her go if she cries by the door? I'm sure if I get her spayed the crying might stop but how can I get her to the vet? Any suggestions would help, we're at our wit's end!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: please help if you can - PHMadameAlto, Tue Oct 14 21:34:53 2003