return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: please help if you can

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Martisimo at Wed Oct 15 09:59:00 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Martisimo ]  

Can I take a shot?

Madame, I really hate to disagree with you, but if this cat enjoys human interaction and petting and has lived inside pretty peacefully for the last six months until the recent carrier-trauma, she isn't really feral, is she? She's just an extra sensitive kitty who does enjoy and has confidence in people. She even came back in the door on her own.

Poster, getting her spayed *very* soon is priority one now, since she has managed to escape outside and could be pregnant. So, this one time it's super important that you succeed. Do you know if she is in heat? There is also now the possibility that she has come into contact with a virus. Getting her tested again while she is being spayed might be advisable since she could pass it to your other cat. Ask your vet what they think.

Once you have managed to get her spayed, getting her to the vet won't be as much of a problem because you could find a vet that does house-calls for routine care. Obvioiusly, surgery will have to be done at a clinic or in a mobile unit, if your area even has one.

First thing I would do if you want to try things the old fashioned way would be to limit her space some, close some bedroom doors so she can't get in there. Sit the carrier out, disassembled. Make it friendly, put something she likes in there. If she likes toys, put a favorite in there. Or something soft and comfy. You might also try spraying it with some Feliway spray. The idea is to just put it in her path in a non-threatening way, so she gets used to its presence. Frankly, I would leave it out for good, just so she can remain desensitized to it in case of anything happening in the future that you might need to use it.

I would try the pill sedative again. Ask your vet for a strong-ish dose and purchase what's called a "pill-gun" from your vet to help you get the pill into her. They should be able to show you how to use it. Heck, if you have a really good relationship with their staff, one of them might be generous enough to come over and help you! Who knows when you will be able to get it down her, but whenever it is, just go ahead and take her to the vet once you have her in the carrier. They can board her there until they are able to do surgery if they are unable to do it at that moment. Just getting her there is what's important. They should be able to handle her once she's there.

If none of that works, ask to pay your vet or a house call vet to come over and actually give an injectable tranquilizer. (If it's a vet that doesn't know your cat, explain to them that they will need to bring help.) I'm sure everyone is just as anxioius to have this poor kitty spayed as you are, so they should be willing to help you out. After trying everything else, asking can't hurt.

I hope this helps some. No matter what method you use, just do it in the next couple of weeks in case she actually is pregnant. Waiting is not good. Best of luck.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: please help if you can - PHMadameAlto, Wed Oct 15 18:55:19 2003

<< Previous Message:  RE: please help if you can - PHMadameAlto, Tue Oct 14 21:34:53 2003