return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Agressive Cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ckfudger at Sun Aug 1 17:42:58 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ckfudger ]  

I need some advice regarding my cat, Velcro. He is a large (16-lb) neutered 4-year-old male indoor/outdoor domestic shorthair cat.

Friday, I received an anonymous letter from someone claiming that my cat, Velcro has been entering their home and attaching their cats (an adult male and a 3-month-old female) in the middle of the night! As proof they provided a copy of Velcro collar, kicked off and "left behind in their living room." Velcro did come home without his collar earlier this past week! They do not say how he is getting inside, but I am assuming it is through a cat-door. I have a cat-door and up until now Velcro has been able to come and go at will.

I know he will use other people's cat doors to enter an apartment. I have a friend with 3 cats (1 older female, 1 medium sized female, and 1 small timid male) in an apartment near mine and Velcro has entered her home to help himself to her cat food. He tends to be overweight and does go searching for food if I don't give him "enough". I asked her if he has ever been aggressive towards her cats. She said no, not really any more than would be expected in response to her cats. Her cats are smaller than and less dominant though.

I am not sure if it is relevant but I have seen Velcro behave aggressively toward me and my 28-pound 15-month-old Icelandic Sheepdog. Velcro did ambush the dog at one point teaching the dog that he has claws and can cause pain. At the time I just figured this was Velcro asserting his position as "top dog" in the household.

Velcro has always been very close to me and does not like the competition for my attentions. Both animals show quite a bit of jealousy about the other. I have tried to show more attention to each animal and to scold each whenever they behave aggressively towards me or the other.

I also moved into my neighborhood about 1 year ago. Velcro has engaged in the usual cat conflicts (including some scratches) as he has established his particular position among the other cats. He doesn't seem to be the "King of the Cats" here. That role seems to be taken by Tiger an equally large, more aggressive tabby male.

The letter suggested that I "do the right thing" and "keep cat inside at all times and not allow him to roam outside day or night". They also say they are "convinced he is intent on killing one - or both- of my cats."

I am not sure what to do. I can't discount what the letter says, but I can't confirm it or obtain additional details as they didn't sign it or include their return address. Can cats be aggressive enough to "attach" another cat inside the other cat's home? Would an adult cat "attach" a kitten? How should I deal with this situation? I don't want to "ground" Velcro for the rest of his life. But don't know if I have any choice!

I have worked very hard not to raise an aggressive dog. I find it more than ironic that now I seem to have an aggressive cat. I love my cat and would do anything to keep him out of trouble or harm.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions as to where else I should look for information, please write.

Thank you very much.
Cynid Kelly

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Agressive Cat - PHMadameAlto, Sun Aug 1 22:25:07 2004