return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: bad circumstance, need advice

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Mon Mar 21 20:19:59 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

>>as of today, my husband and i are going to seperate for a while, and i am planning on driving from arizona back to indiana. i have to take my cats... theyre my babies (as you can appreciate). i have 5 cats (max is a maine coon, molly a tortoishell, vespa an angora, and lucy & osiris, two strays i took in when they showed up on my doorstep). im planning on renting a minivan, but ive never driven cross-country alone, or with cats. i dont know what to do to prepare them for this journey?
>>can someone pleeeeaaaasssseeee give me some advice?
>>
>>zola_kitten

Oh dear, I'm very sorry! But with careful planning you should get back to Indiana safely.

First you need to have a carrier for each cat and use it while traveling. Be sure the carriers are secured.

Second, each cat needs to have a collar and ID just in case they get loose.

Third, it would be best for someone to go with you so that you can leave the vehicle running with AC on should a bathroom trip be necessary for you. Otherwise, don't leave the cats in a closed up vehicle for more than an couple of minutes.

Fourth, call each motel you plan to stop at and tell then about your cats. Hopefully you will be able to find a place that will accomodate them all. Otherwise you will have to plan to stop at campgrounds and somehow sleep in the van.

Fifth, stop every now and then and give the cats a chance to get out of their carriers to use the litterbox - keep one in the van. Also offer them food and water. Naturally you will have to leave the engine running and the ac on when you stop - no open windows.

Be sure to have all their vaccines up to date and keep the paperwork with you.

For more information on traveling and cats check out this linl:
Traveling and Cats

Good luck and have a safe trip!

-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: bad circumstance, need advice - JaimeMarie, Tue Mar 22 17:21:46 2005

<< Previous Message:  bad circumstance, need advice - zola_kitten, Sun Mar 20 22:49:17 2005 *HOT TOPIC*