return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Suggestions for a strange situation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sun Jan 1 20:51:42 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

Only you know your cats' temperment. Some travel much better than others. I have found mine do not travel well -- even the 20 minute trip to the vet. They do not like change. I travel a week to two weeks on buisness and vacation trips a couple times a year. I find a pet sitter works wonderfully. You may want to consider this for trips 2-3 weeks or less. I suppose even up to a month. Have a trusted friend or family member, or do what I do, have a professional stop once a day (one of my cats needs medication and it is actually twice a day, but if yours are healthy, once a day would work).

For week to two week trips, that has always worked best for mine -- keep them in their own environment, routine, and home.

I did have one occasion where I had to go away for business for almost six months when the boys were a couple years old (they are 14 now). In that case, I had a friend that let them live with him for the six months. He lived near me, so I stocked up all the supplies in my place and he kept them with him in his.

Depending on how well your cats do with travel and change, you may want to consider asking a family member or friend to keep them the three months you are gone.

If this is not an option and they just do not travel well, if it were me (and we are all different), the shorter two-ish week trip, I'd use a cat sitter, and the longer three month trip, if I had no one to take them, I'd take them with me, but I'd fly if they were younger cats if you don't think they will travel for several days in a car well.

Only you know what they can handle. Good luck.
-----
Tammy
Stanley and Pookey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Suggestions for a strange situation - cyclopsgrl, Sun Jan 1 20:54:19 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Suggestions for a strange situation - JaimeMarie, Sat Dec 31 16:04:26 2005