return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Aggression Problems

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: exoplexus at Mon May 1 19:50:01 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by exoplexus ]  

PHKitkat, I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my questions about Ra. We love our cat, and are desperate for any suggestions to help curb his naughty behavior.

I think you are right about Ra treating us like littermates. He tends to play very rough. That's why we had tossed around the idea of getting him a playmate. However, we are definitely concerned about the unpredictable consequences of adopting another cat.

Your idea about interactive toys is spot on. One of Ra's favorite toys has always been his string on a stick. He also loves to play "kitty in the middle" with me and my husband using various toys from balls to little stuffed animals. We just can't seem to wear him out!

Saying "Ouch!" works sometimes when he bites or scratches. Other times, Ra just doesn't seem to care. We are getting pretty good at reading his body language, but could still use some work in that area. We miss a few cues here and there.

The problems mostly arise when Ra stalks us seemingly out of the blue. My best guess is that he gets into stalk mode after watching birds or other animals outside the windows, then redirects his aggression toward us.

Yesterday, we began using a "quiet room" when he gets really worked up and stalks us. This room has the blinds closed, plenty of places to hide, and a few kitty comforts (like the stuffed bear he likes to cuddle with). After 15 minutes or so in the quiet room, Ra has usually calmed down. When he is calm he gets a treat. Has anyone else used this technique? If so, how has it worked for you?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Aggression Problems - PHKitkat, Tue May 2 19:17:13 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Aggression Problems - PHKitkat, Sun Apr 30 23:06:33 2006