return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Agressive kitten

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rescuekitty1979 at Mon Jan 29 06:37:31 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rescuekitty1979 ]  

Hi There

I don't have a bengal but I do have a boisterous 3 month old DSH kitten. He displays some of the behaviours you said and I thought I would share how I deal with him as it seems to be slowly working.

Firstly the attacking other pets - mine goes for our other cat all the time and wants to wrestle and nip at her which she hates. To combat this I found that jungling a ball just as you see the tail start to twitch is sufficient to distract him and he comes over to play. He's really getting good at this and its invaluable for your other animals too.

The biting one when picking up - mine is so loving and cuddly. He snuggles in, puts his front paws round my face and rubs my nose hard but occasionally he will nip my hands if I pick him up. The only times this happens is if he is way over-stimulated and hyper. To combat this I usually just hold my hands on his shoulders for a brief moment before picking him up which calms him every time.

Mine also has a bit of predatory aggression, that is not only with my other cat but will occaionally attack toes as you walk past etc. For this a short 'Nah' kind of noise just mid flight is usually enough to stop that (this works a treat is you notice him stalking you from the other side of the room too. I can get my kitten to stop on a dime about an inch away from me )(sometimes even with his mouth still open ) It's hard though I know but it's important to keep your cool because if he's anything like mine, my baby picks up on my emoptions more than anyone else. My partner has a lot of problems with him but he is fine with him if I am there. I think sometimes favouritism is an issue also as my other cat favours my partner Andy and I think the kitten knows that too so will attack Andy occasionally when I'm not there.
-----
Kind Regards
Pepsi and Cola's human Janis
MAX - Earned his wings April 2006 - Sleep tight Pussy Cat

"Like those great sphinxes lounging through eternity in noble attitudes upon the desert sand, they gaze in curiosity at nothing, calm and wise"
Charles Baudelaire

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Agressive kitten - squidhat, Fri Jan 26 23:21:42 2007