return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Two cats will not get along!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BonkElsMeeks at Thu Aug 9 16:31:32 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BonkElsMeeks ]  

About 3 years ago my parents took in a second cat. I was on here often at that time trying to help her introduce the new cat to her other kitty. The two of them would not get along. We tried everything, they could not even be in the same room together, so at first my mother tried feeding them both on either side of a closed door. They would try to get at each other under the door. She tried that plug-in stuff that's supposed to calm the kitties down. That did not work. She even put the more aggressive cat (the newer one) on a kind of "kitty prozac" but even that did not stop the fighting. The fighting gets so bad my mom is afraid one of them will be hurt, so letting them fight is out is not an option. She tried to find a new home for the newer cat at first, but could not find a suitable one. Well, in the 3 years she has had them she has been effectively keeping them separate. They have a fairly big house and one cat lives upstairs while the other one lives downstairs. My mother switches their places once or twice a day so that each kitty can have some time on the back porch, which they both enjoy. Switching them is a whole process in itself because if one cat realizes the other is about she will go after her. During the day both of my parents work, and so they keep the door between the upper and lower levels closed pereventing the cats from reaching eachother. They even devised a wooden blocker that goes under the door so they cannot reach their paws under to get at each other. Both of my parents really love both of these cats. And both cats are very sweet when the other is not around. I guess all I am wondering is could there be a better way for the household to be run rather than constantly keeping the cats separate and switching them around? The cats do seem happy, but this whole switching and separating nonsense seems so ridiculous. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Two cats will not get along!! - PHKitkat, Fri Aug 10 19:25:28 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Two cats will not get along!! - ttpurr4cat, Fri Aug 10 21:21:54 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Two cats will not get along!! - gocatgo, Sun Aug 12 17:26:51 2007