return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My cat has emotional problems! (LONG)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Wed May 28 19:28:22 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi There,

First of all, I do believe that the problems Halifax is having stem from his difficult start in life. Losing his mom early on is very hard on a kitten, and kittens that grow up alone often have behavioral issues. They lack the interaction with mom and other kittens so that normal development is almost impossible.

I think you have to accept the fact that Halifax will always have some issues. Then you can start working with him in hopes of seeing some "improvement" in his behavior. Cats are the way they are because of what they have gone through in their lives, just as we are.

Bonding with humans will always be difficult for Halifax, which may be why he hates your boyfriend. Jealousy is definitely an issue, for not only Halifax, but the boyfriend as well. Try looking at things from the cat's point of view. He has been banished from his bed most nights and his place has been taken by a stranger who also wants your attention. Plus there has been a kitten added to the household. I would not recommend adding a kitten when there is already so much tension in the house, but you have already taken him in.

Halifax becomes overstimulated when he feels he has had enough petting. This is not unusual in some cats and it's not something that is likely to change. The key is to only pet him as much as he likes.......when you see him flicking his tail or his ears go back it's time to stop.

As far as spraying Halifax with water, yelling at him, or flicking him on the nose, please don't. These things are not going to help, they will only cause more tension and stress for Halifax. He is already dealing with so much.

It disturbs me that you have considered the possibility that your boyfriend has abused Halifax. To me this would be a huge red flag, even though I know he has denied touching him. Even intentionally scaring a cat can be abuse. There have been times when I have looked back and realized that my cats had more insight than I did and I should have listened to them.

I am a vet tech in a cat hospital and I would probably be fired if I refused to do something for an aggressive cat. The assistants where you go need some serious training. We even have feral cats come in on a regular basis and rarely are hurt by them.

If you do decide to try medication on Halifax, ask your vet about clomipramine. It works very well in cats.

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  My cat has emotional problems! (LONG) - mulleina, Tue May 27 23:42:16 2008