return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Blood Python . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Good experience with visitors

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chatanuga at Mon Jun 9 10:01:46 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chatanuga ]  

Chessie's always had a fear of visitors at home, as I've posted before, but this past Saturday, things actually went really well considering how he has been in the past.

My parents, brother, and his fiance came to my place. Chessie took off up the stairs and hid in the bathroom until we left for dinner. When we came home, he hissed and went into the kitchen. I then went into the kitchen to find where he was and found him in the cupboard again. This time, I didn't try to take him out of the cupboard and just kept talking to him some. My mom and my brother's fiance came out to see what was going on, and though he was still nervous, I could see him calming some in his eyes as everybody came in and calmly talked to him. My brother came in, and everybody else went into the living room. My mom started talking to me, and I went into the living room, leaving my brother in the kitchen with Chessie curled up in the cupboard, which I left open. I then turned to go back in the kitchen to figure out how to get him out, and as I was turning, my brother came into the living room cradling Chessie in his arms. While he was still a bit on the tense side, he'd calmed enough to allow my brother to lift him out of the cupboard and hold him. I asked him how he managed to do that, and he said he just talked to him and gently pet him to calm him down and then gently lifted him out. Granted, when my brother put him down, he did run back to the kitchen, but he just stayed out there and didn't try to get into the cupboards again.

Later in the evening, Mom went out to the kitchen, and while he was still a bit nervous, he let her make over him some and pet him.

I'm just amazed that Chessie is finally allowing visitors to touch him, let alone get near him.
-----

Chessie and Casey Jones relaxing together.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Good experience with visitors - ttpurr4cat, Mon Jun 9 17:30:29 2008