return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: What's in a name?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Tactical_Snake at Mon Nov 1 13:39:56 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Tactical_Snake ]  

I realise this is some long time after the thread was started, but I thought the questions were interesting. :3

1. Do your cats have pet names or human names?

Human, I suppose. Although my first cat got 'Great' and 'Magnificient' tagged to hers, she was named by my mum after some indian tribe that lived on the island Puerto Rico. I have no clear idea why (I was five, then), except that the only other thing they could think of was my name, and that wouldn't work. I found later that her name, Taina, was also an actual name. How odd.

My cats, Akira and Gawain, have pretty human names, though.

2. Why do you think you chose a pet name vs. a human name?

For mine, I don't know. I guess because I've never really been one for cutey-wooty stuff. I mean, even when I play something like Pokemon (frivolous, I know, but), I name everything and they all usually get normal names, like Michio or Hirohito. I'm more serious with a living creature's name, though, of course (so, no set of cats named Hirohito, Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Churchill and Roosevelt... :P). I usually just pick whatever comes to mind at the time.
For example, Akira was named after my favourite comic book artist at the time-- Akira Toriyama.
Gawain was just... the first thing I thought of that wasn't rediculous. And all I could think of were names that started with the letter 'G'. ^.^;
I also don't want to stick my kitties with some horrible name that I would be embarrassed of. ^.^;

3. Do you think your cat's name has any effect on the way you perceive and/or treat him or her? Do you think that your cat's name affects the way OTHERS think about your cat?

Hm. Well, I already was starting to treat little Gawain like a son when I brought him into the house, probably esp. since he was extremely loving. ^.^; I know that due to his name, he's spoken of as thinking everything is a green knight, or that he's not befitting since, unlike the Gawain of legend, he isn't exceptionally well mannered. lol
But I think I would treat him the same either way. I think other people are more likely to take him seriously because of his name, though. He gets the baby talk all the time because, well, he looks like an oversized kitten, but people don't usually treat him with a sugar coating in the conversation. However, I think his attitude really attributes to it, too, since he really tries to take part in everything, just like 'one of the guys'.

Akira, on the other hand... I can't really say much about how other people percieve her because she always hides. I know that I treat her like I normally would a person or animal. But she hates me now (I attend school, she never sees me... *sigh*)...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  What's in a name? - PHCurious, Mon May 10 13:41:52 2004