return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Please help! My kitten hates me!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: newmeowmie at Tue Aug 19 15:01:47 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by newmeowmie ]  

Hi all,

I am new to this message board, and message boards in general. I am desperate for advice. My kitten is FURIOUS with me! I have a 5 1/2-month old kitten and work 10-12 hours a day. Callie is a Balinese, and is extremely social, so it became clear that she needed a full-time playmate. On Friday we a adopted a brother for her...an 11-week old Balinese boy, Kazee. I am sad to say that I did everything wrong!

Mistake number 1. I was told that introducing the new kitten on neutral ground would help the process. Since Callie is extremely curious and adventurous, I took her with me to pick him up. She likes the car, and is leash trained (she actually gets excited when I take her harness out), so that wasn't a problem, but the screaming children and other cats were. She was NOT happy.

Mistake number 2. "just throw them together...they'll be fine." Well, after he tested negative for FIV/FELV, I let him have free run of the house. Callie did a good amount of hissing and growling, and tried to give Kazee an occassional swat, but the little boy was oblivious. He ducked the swats, and if she came too close, he'd swat back (actually it was more like a wave than a swat). Callie appeared to be frightened of him (she weighs over 10 pounds and he weighs 2.5 pounds), and still seems to be a little afraid. He shows absolutely NO respect for her territorial rights, and she backs down and "pouts".

On the positive side, by Sunday night, they were playing and last night they were sleeping together. All seems to be relatively ok between the two of them, although she gets angry when he plays with a toy and ignores her, and furious when he plays with me. She makes a noise that I cannot describe, and either goes into the kitchen and eats or sits by the front door with her back to us.

Unfortunately, she seems to be getting worse, not better. Any of you who have had a Bali (or Siamese) know how vocal they are. She is acting like a petulant child...alternating between whining and "scolding" me. The verbal reproaches are not to be believed!! She is quite the drama queen. If it wasn't so upsetting to me, it would be a riot!

She will no longer sleep with me, and chases Kazee off the bed when he snuggles up. She grumbles and runs away when I try to pet her. She whines when I pick her up and then chatters, squirms and tries to bite my hand (she only mouths me, but I don't like the direction the behavior is heading. She gets upset if I do, OR if I don't pay attention to her.

I brought her into the bedroom alone last night and tried to play with her with her favorite toy...fishing rod with a feather...she played for a few minutes and then meowed at the door. As I mentioned she loves to walk outside the apartment, so I put her harness on her and take her for walks in the hallway. She allows me to put the harness and leash on, and trots ahead of me as usual. HOWEVER, she chatters, scolding me, the entire time, and looks back at me periodically as if to emphasize the point. When we get back to the apartment she sits by the front door with her back to us.

I am completely at a loss. Please help!! Any ideas would be welcomed!!

Thank you!!

Desperate New Meowmie

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Please help! My kitten hates me! - papillon567, Mon Aug 25 16:13:11 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Please help! My kitten hates me! - MunchieScrunchie, Mon Aug 25 19:56:47 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Please help! My kitten hates me! - gemee, Mon Aug 25 23:47:04 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Please help! My kitten hates me! - brenalm, Wed Sep 3 13:46:56 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Please help! My kitten hates me! - newmeowmie, Wed Sep 3 20:54:11 2003