return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Status Report

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Sakmet at Mon Nov 24 16:19:32 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sakmet ]  

We brought home an 8 week old kitten on 11/19 and immediately put her in the guest bathroom w/all appropriate accessories... we also have a resident cat. Evidently there was one hiss the first day from Diablo (resident cat) but that's because my hubby showed the kitten to him. A no-no, I know! Since then they've been smelling each other through the door, we've been doing the switching the towels trick to get them used to each others scent, and I've had them playing together (kind of)on each side of the door w/some string. Diablo hasn't exhibited any more uneasy behavior. He'll walk over, sniff... sometimes when I have the door cracked (a new development) he'll sit and look at the kitten on the other side or watch a paw sneak out. And on a couple occasions the kitten has sneaked by us and streaked out into the main part of the house, once running by Diablo and Diablo jumped up onto the ottoman and watched from above. Still no hissing, laying back of ears, anything like that. My husband also told me once the little guy (we've named him Azrael) got out and ran right up to Diablo, who just sat there and looked at him. My husband grabbed him up really quick, but he said they were face to face with no apparent problems in those short few seconds. I'm thinking maybe we can let the kitten out for short stretches to see how they do. What do you think? Our older cat refuses to eat near the door where kitty is... but I'm thinking I might not need to encourage him eat over there. The only thing I might be worried about is the kittens exuberance, but we can run off some of his energy before hand... Thanks for any replies and sorry for the length!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]