return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Ernie and the Cats

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: DestanyF at Wed Apr 21 12:50:25 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DestanyF ]  

That is so helpful! Before I read MadameAlto's reply, I took one of the babes (which Myrtle will let us do without complaint) out of the bedroom and held it up outside of the kennel (with Myrtle locked in bedroom). Ernie took a submissive pose and layed down. Then with my permission, he came up and began kissing the baby! The babe did hiss, so I took her back to Mommy right away. Then, I let Ernie out, and went and got Myrtle (making sure the whole time that kittens were locked up safe and sound) and holding her by the scruff of her neck which relaxes her for some reason, I brought her out. The animals sat two feet from eachother, Ernie laying down (bowing to the queen of the house), and me holding Myrtle stroking her, I was able to eventualy release her and just pet her lightly and she began to purr!
So I think it's like you said, Ernie is just doesn't like outsiders. And like MadameAlto said, Myrtle needs to learn that Ernie's not a threat. And I don't think he would have hurt the cat or he I wouldn't have been able to stop him! I also think that comfort zone plugins will go a long way too. But I will keep cats seperate from dogs until the kits are weaned and Myrtle's fixed, allowing minimal supervised visits from time to time... and just play by ear.
But if anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please let me know!!!

Destany

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Ernie and the Cats - JaimeMarie, Wed Apr 21 13:49:28 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: Ernie and the Cats - JaimeMarie, Wed Apr 21 08:52:59 2004