return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

my cat is afraid of new cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ishy at Sat Aug 28 12:06:49 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ishy ]  

OK, I have a 3 year-old extremely friendly, very gentle mix-breed cat (Maggie) who has been my 'baby' for several years. She has always been around other cats, although last year my roommate's 17 year-old siamese would chase and lash out at her. We kept them separate as much as possible, but now in my new apartment, I adopted a 1-year-old Maine Coon about 1 1/2 months ago.

Sage is as sweet as she can be. She seems to adore Maggie and bounds up to her to play and Maggie just freaks out, I guess she's thinking Sage is coming after her like my old roommate's cat did. By freak out, I mean literally go nuts, and make that awful cat-in-terror shriek as well as lashing out with ears back. Sage always backs off and looks rather confused that Maggie doesn't like her. Because she is just a year, she hasn't fully grown out of her kittenish play stage yet (plus she was found at 7 mos with a litter of kittens and probably missed out on most of her kitten stage playing mommy).

I did separate them at first and introduce them slowly. Maggie will touch noses with Sage sometimes and I have even seen Maggie let Sage lick her face. It doesn't seem to be a jealousy issue because Maggie seems calmer around Sage when I am close, and most of the time when she freaks out I am out of the room or on the other side of the room. Maggie growls whenever Sage comes near her, and Sage follows Maggie around with utter devotion.

I have been trying the Feliway plugin and the herbal remedy suggested here for at least three weeks and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I think if Maggie calmed down she'd realize that Sage totally adores her and wouldn't hurt her, and would also be a fun playmate. My old roommate also had a kitten and he and Maggie played together all the time with no problem.

Any suggestions?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: my cat is afraid of new cat - PHMadameAlto, Sat Aug 28 18:11:04 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: my cat is afraid of new cat - kinga, Tue Aug 31 21:56:06 2004
>> Next Message:  PIC: Sage and Maggie - ishy, Sun Sep 26 06:20:36 2004