return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: my cat is afraid of new cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kinga at Tue Aug 31 21:56:06 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kinga ]  

Firstly, I know what you're going through! But believe me, it will get better. There are a few basic things that may help you in your situation. Most importantly, don't try to be fair. By this I mean don't try to help the situation the way you would with humans; you'll just end up getting nowhere and the cats will get frustrated. Cats have a unique code of conduct all of their own. As you probably already know, even the most easy going cat will get affected if things don't go their way. For one, any change in environment, such as moving house, new pets, etc., is NOT a good thing for a cat. So its no
surprise Maggie is resentful of Sage popping up on the scene. You, as "head cat", have to restore order by supporting Sage's right to space and privacy. I know it may seem cruel to Sage, but cats don't think that way. Sage will see this as normal boundary forming and will learn to accept it. You can do this in a variety of ways: keep Maggie's bed and food on a higher level than Sage's (whilst still feeding at the same times). This shows Maggie she need not feel threatened by the newcomer, whilst Sage will learn about her lower rank in the house (this is what I mean about not trying to be "fair" - cats' understanding of "fair" is completely different, they need and expect boundary formation). Keep Maggie's toys out of reach of Sage and show Maggie only she has access to them. You can also designate times when Maggie has complete run of the house without Sage being present. Give Maggie special time alone with yourself, doing things you both normally enjoy doing together, even if its just being in the same room together (she may act bitterly towards you for a while, but persevere; remember, she looks to you to maintain order in the house, and so far she feels angry with your "management rules"!). Anyway, you get the general drift. Maggie must be made to feel of prime importance. Secondly, when contact is inevitable, there are a few simple rules. When Maggie starts getting aggressive, DO NOT scold her. In fact, don't pay any attention to her. Instead, from a short distance keep reassuring both cats in a calming tone ("good kitties, beautiful cats", etc.). ONLY interfere if you feel Maggie is feeling cornered or extremely unsafe. In this case, remove Sage from the room without making
a fuss over her and go back to comforting Maggie, giving her some breathing space before reintroducing Sage onto the scene. Keep giving your affection and attention to Sage down to a minimum in front of Maggie, until things get better. Instead, speak kindly of Sage in front of Maggie when they're both in the room, saying things like 'Sage is a good cat' etc. But don't
overdo it. Stop if you feel Maggie getting jealous or stiff.
If this happens, immediately revert your attention to Maggie.
You may find some of this cruel or hard, but it works and is the closest you'll get to resolving disputes in a "feline fashion". Good luck and don't give up!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  UPDATE: my cat is afraid of new cat - ishy, Tue Sep 14 20:29:41 2004

<< Previous Message:  my cat is afraid of new cat - ishy, Sat Aug 28 12:06:49 2004