return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Introduction gone bad, is all ruined?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurag29 at Sun Feb 20 13:36:25 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurag29 ]  

Hi, I just adopted an 8 month old kitten (male) and brought him home to meet my 5 month old kitten (male). Per the advice of many of the posts here, I set up one room for the new cat and put his own water, food, litter in the room and shut the door. Within a few hours, he was crying to get out and was friendly and comfortable with his surroundings, but I simply would go in and play with him and then leave the room. Meanwhile, my resident kitten was anxiously scratching at the door trying to see the new cat. They growl and meow at each other under the door and stick their paws underneath. I've switched them at night so my kitten sleeps in with me, and the new cat has a chance to put his scent on the rest of my small place.

The problem - yesterday while I was out doing laundry, my kitten must have pushed the door open to the room and when I came in they were rolling around the house chasing and tackling each other. It was a very energetic fight. I don't know how many minutes this had gone on before I came in, but they were each panting heavily. I carefully separated them and put the new cat back in his room. No blood was drawn, but quite a few growls. Now, I can't get them away from the door. Each of them cry all day wanting to get at each other, and it is a struggle to open the door to give them food or water without them both sneaking in or out of the room.

Has it already gone too far? Will they be adversaries for life or is there a way to start this over when they obviously know the other one is right outside the door? It's only been a few days since the new cat came home, and I'd really like to be able to keep him.

would appreciate any advice. sorry for the novel.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Introduction gone bad, is all ruined? - PHMadameAlto, Mon Feb 21 20:56:10 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: Introduction gone bad, is all ruined? - gocatgo, Tue Feb 22 06:08:51 2005 image in post